With the holiday season coming up, you can never have too many side dishes at the ready. Whether you need something easy to bring to a potluck or family dinner, these Roasted Brussel Sprouts are sure to be a crowd pleaser — even for the brussel sprout averse!
As a vegan, its really important to bring food to family gatherings so you have something to eat, and also something to share with others. The best way to spread the word about this lifestyle and how easy it actually is, is by showing people and enticing them with their taste buds ;). What is that old saying? The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach? I’d beg to differ that it applies for all your family and friends! I’ve found the easiest way to navigate the holidays with non-vegan friends and family is to always come armed with a dish or two to share with the meal. Making it something that everyone can enjoy takes away the isolation people sometimes associate with veganism, or being exclusively plant-based.
These Maple Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Cranberries are the yummiest mix of holiday flavours all in one bite. You get the savory brussel sprouts, which get all caramelized and roasted mixed with tangy Dijon, tart and sweet dried cranberries with a hit of sweetness from the maple syrup. Oy, I’m drooling and I haven’t even started talking about the toasted walnuts to finish it off!
Maple Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 heaped tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb brussel sprouts, ends trimmed & halved if larger
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheight / 230 Celsius
- Combine Maple Syrup and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Over medium heat in an oven safe pan, add olive oil and garlic. Saute until fragrant then add in the brussel sprouts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and maple syrup mixture. Mix gently to combine then place in oven uncovered for 25 minutes to roast.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle oven the chopped walnuts. Place back in the oven for 3-5 minutes to finish roasting. Keep an eye on the nuts so they don’t burn!